Wednesday, August 8, 2001

day 88, Green Pond Mtn c, NY

Start:  NY 17A (campsite)
End:  Green Pond Mountain base (campsite)
Miles:  12.4 today, 1365.6 total

A lot of ups and downs today with both hiking the trail and my emotions.  The trail is starting to get vertical again.  For a long time, since maybe central VA, the trail has been pretty level, and when climbs came, they were gradual, not too hard.  Today was different.  Steep, rocky climbs and descents, the kind where you sometimes have to set your poles aside so you can grab on to the nearest rock or tree to advance up (or down) the trail.  And my pack is heavy after picking up my maildrop in Bellvale.  So, all in all, it was a slow day, which explains the measly 12 miles.  I didn't get started hiking until 11am, and I set my goal to be at the Fingerboard Shelter, about 16-ish miles away from NY 17A.  Anyway, I got really frustrated as I saw the time ticking, but the miles going slower than I liked.  I've been arriving into camp after 8pm way too much lately, and I'd like to put a stop to that.  Well, I don't think I'll make it to the Graymoor Friary tomorrow because I cut it so short today.  Really, the best thing there is the AYCE dinner at 5:30pm, which I may have been able to make with my original plan.  Anyway, I've got plenty of my own food.  I'll make a small feast tomorrow night as a substitute!  hee hee!  Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment