Tuesday, August 21, 2001

day 101, Wilbur Clearing Lt, MA

Start:  Cheshire, MA (campsite)
End:  Wilbur Clearing Lean-to
Miles:  11.0 today, 1570.6 total

Picked up my maildrop without any trouble around 7:30am, ate breakfast, packed up, did laundry, took a picture of the nice people who let me take a shower in their place, had someone take a picture of me in front of the Cheese Monument.  As I write this page, it's getting harder to remain awake.  Anyway, the climb up Greylock was really amazing.  Steepness wasn't too bad, and the scenery / vegetation is getting awesome around here.

Oh, as I was leaving Cheshire, I came across Bad Ass Turtle.  She just recently decided to quit the trail.  She may do some more this season, we'll see what happens I guess.  When I saw her today, she was doing Trail Magic out of the back of her rental SUV.  I asked her if there was a convenience store nearby because I had to pick up some batteries and dental floss.  So she drove me about 100 yards to a Shell station just out of sight around the bend.  I told her I was going to call my parents and that it might take awhile, but she said she'd wait since there wasn't much else she could do back at the trail.  Apparently, I was the first NOBO to come through that day, and it was like 1pm.  Called home, picked up batteries, no floss for sale.  Bad Ass Turtle asked me if I'd mind doing an interview for her PhD thesis.  So that was fun.  She tape-recorded it.

No comments:

Post a Comment