Sunday, August 5, 2001

day 85, High Point S, NJ

Start:  Brink Road Shelter
End:  High Point Shelter
Miles:  19.7 today, 1318.2 total

No bears today, oh well.  7 bears is more than enough to last me the rest of the trip.  I hiked all day again, though it was only 19.7 miles.  One day I WILL pull into camp before 8pm.  I've been slacking in that department lately.

A lot of time to think today.  I remember thinking a lot about the Flytrap album (post-hike note: "Flytrap" was a band I had senior year in high school).  I played a few of the songs, start to finish, in my head.  That passed the time really well.  I also thought about the rest of the trip.  When I get to Kent, I will have hiked about 2/3 of the trail.  It's crazy.  Then, the next jump after Kent will probably be to Manchester Center, VT.  That's completely nuts.  Vermont.  I'm practically done already.  Anyway, don't want to talk too much about finishing because I don't want to jinx myself.

Tonight at the shelter there's 3 guys, early 20s, late teens - college age - leading a group of inner city kids on a 3-day trip on the AT.  They're from England (the 3 guys), and asked me a lot of questions about my quest.  They seemed pretty interested in doing it themselves.  One of the kids keeps on singing in his tent.  Everyone is telling him to shut up.  Kids can do REALLY strange things.  A volatile stage in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment