Tuesday, July 31, 2001

day 80, Leroy A. Smith S, PA

Start:  Bake Oven Knob Shelter
End:  Leroy A. Smith Shelter
Miles:  23.5 today, 1253.5 total

Coming up out of Lehigh Gap.

No lunatics showed up at the last shelter, though we've got someone supposedly tripping on acid in the shelter tonight.  So we're all camped up the path from the shelter.  Oh the stories I'll have to tell.

Left Bake Oven Knob Shelter at 9am, pulled in here at 9pm.  It's almost impossible, it seems, for me to go any faster than 2 mph (including breaks) with these rocks.  And, yes, the rocks are bad.  That catch phrase, "Betcha bite a chip!" came to mind as I walked for about half an hour straight unable to have one rockless step.  The constantly uneven terrain really screws up your feet.  I've got 20 miles left to do tomorrow and I know my feet are going to be bloody stumps when I pull into the hostel.  I put moleskin on the left side of my left heel, by the end of the day, it had moved ALL the way around behind my heel to the right side, just under the arch.  At least SOMETHING was protected I guess.  That's never happened before, until the past 2 days.

Had a great rock climb coming up Lehigh Gap, took some pictures.  Tonight I'm with a foursome: Khaos (girl), Sherpa (male), Puck (girl), and Gnome (male).  Khaos & Sherpa are a couple.

No comments:

Post a Comment