Sunday, May 20, 2001

day 8, Carter Gap S, NC

Start:  Muskrat Creek Shelter
End:  Carter Gap Shelter
Miles:  12.3 today, 90.6 total

I left Matt at the Muskrat Creek Shelter and headed north. He said he was just going to hang around the Muskrat Shelter all day to let his legs heal up. Sounds pretty boring.

All day it was foggy, humid, and wet. Not really much rain, just constant fog and mist. It was a pretty easy 12 miles to Carter Gap. I arrived around 4pm-ish after getting a late 10:23am start from Muskrat Creek. I considered going further, but when I took my boots off, my toes were purple and bruised. My sock liners had some blood stains on them, too. Now I'm not sure if hiking is to blame for that, since I just went to the bathroom (Number 2) on an incline, causing my toes to get really scrunched in the front of my boots. I'll have to keep an eye on my feet tomorrow. I'll take off my shoes periodically to make sure all is well.

This looks like it's going to be my first night alone on the trail. I've got my bear bag up, good to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment