Monday, May 14, 2001

day 2, Justice Creek c, GA

Start:  Springer Shelter
End:  Justice Creek campsite
Miles:  13.4 today, 13.5 total


Springer Shelter privy

I hiked from Springer Shelter to Hawk Mtn. Shelter by 1pm. I had originally planned to stay the night at Hawk Mountain, but it was so early in the day by the time I got there. I decided to push ahead, and try to get to the Gooch Gap shelter. It was another 8 miles, so not much harder than the 7.6 from Springer to Hawk Mtn. But see, that WOULD have been the case if the terrain remained the same. It didn't.

Now I might be getting a taste of what the real Georgia / North Carolina mountains are like. They're steeper than the ones in the Shenandoahs. Really, that's the only difference. You have to walk slower the steeper the mountain gets.

Anyway, I didn't make it to Gooch Gap. After coming down a particularly hard mountain, I came upon a pretty nice campsite with a creek through the middle (first water source for 6 miles). There were maybe 8 other people already there. So I set up my tent for the first time. I'm going to need some help with that (hopefully before it rains). It looked pretty saggy.

Pretty sore after the day's hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment