Friday, May 18, 2001

day 6, Deep Gap S, GA

Start:  Unicoi Gap (Helen, GA)
End:  Deep Gap Shelter
Miles:  12.5 today, 63.2 total

Got a late start out of Helen today. I checked my email at the library. Megan (one of Josh's friends) wanted to know if she could hike with me for about a week in late June or early July. I replied telling her that she was more than welcome to. I also thanked all the people at the PATC website for their backpacking advice. Checked out of the motel at 11:00am, got a ride up to Unicoi. So far, my hitch-hiking record has been pretty successful. It took maybe two minutes before someone stopped.

At Unicoi, I was getting ready to go when Matt, a hiker (thru-hiker) I met in Helen, showed up. He hadn't been so successful hitching a ride. Took him a couple of hours.

So then we hiked together for the rest of the day. We were going to camp at Addis Gap, but when we got there, it was about 6:15pm, so we decided to hike over Kelly Knob to get to the Deep Gap Shelter.

Two others were already there. They had two dogs who had shoo-ed off 4 other hikers right before we arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment