Thursday, May 24, 2001

day 12, Brown Fork Gap S, NC

Start:  Nantahala Outdoor Center
End:  Brown Fork Gap Shelter
Miles:  16.0 today, 150.1 total

Last night the guy who I was rooming with at the NOC, Tim, snored so loud that I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep. So I slept outside. I went down to a small patio area behind my room, layed out my bag, and went to sleep. There really wasn't much else I could do. There was no way I could sleep IN my room. The neighbors had too much stuff on the floor for me to lay out. The room management people were way on the other side of the NOC, and I didn't know if they were open at all (I thought that, if they were open, I could get an emergency room to sleep in). Anyway, eventually I went back inside at 6:45am and slept until about 7:45.

In the morning, we all had breakfast: Chris, Matt (a different Matt), Ken, Jeff, and Mike (from Wayah Bald, he actually made it to NOC!). Good food, but I was really full. Around 10:30 all but Mike left for the trail. The first 8 miles or so were all uphill. Jeff fell behind really fast, haven't seen him since. Matt and Ken are hiking together until just before Damascus. Tonight the shelter's overfull. Joe and Brooke (2 dogs people) are here camping, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment